Or talk to an agent: 1 833 590-2714
This exam is available at our clinic in Town of Mount Royal.
A medical prescription is required to perform this examination.
Please note that CT-Scan examinations are not covered by the Régie de l’Assurance Maladie du Québec (RAMQ). However, most group insurance plans cover the costs.
A brain computer tomography scan (CT-Scan) is an imaging examination that creates images of your brain in the form of thin, cross-sectional slices, in 2D or 3D.
It is indicated in the case of:
- Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA or mini-stoke)
- Damage to the base of the skull and cranial nerves
- Epileptic seizure
- Acute and chronic headaches
- Head injury
- Suspected brain tumour
- Orbital trauma (damage to the eyes)
- Central nervous system problems
For the examination procedure, you will be asked:
- to remove your jewellery and other metal objects, which can interfere with image quality
- to lay comfortably on an exam table and stay still
- to hold your breath for a few seconds, as the table will slide into the CT machine. We will capture the images very quickly to minimize the dose of radiation you absorb
Depending on the test prescribed by your health professional, it may be required to inject a contrast agent. We will go through a list of contrast agents with you when you book your appointment. If you think you may be allergic, please let us know.
Please note that the total duration of your visit for this examination can be between 30 and 60 minutes, even though the examination procedure itself will only last between 10 and 25 minutes.
Preparing for the Examination
To prepare for the examination, we ask that you fast at least four hours in advance (unless otherwise indicated). However, you can still take your medication with a little water.
A medical prescription is required to perform this examination. The cost of this examination is not covered by the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ).
If your health care professional has prescribed this test for you or you have any questions, please call us at 1-833-590-2715.